Welcome to the Kids Department!
The youth side of the library is meant for exploration, wonder, and discovery. We have a wide variety of books, movies, music CDs, and audiobooks, as well as access to emedia, allowing you to take your favorite characters on the road with you through your tablet and smartphone. A warm, smiling face will greet you and will be happy to help you find your next favorite book. Click the links below to learn more about what we offer to the Sugar Grove community.
Kids Special Events
All ages: Take a StoryWalk® for some reading and fresh air! Start at the library before walking your way through a children’s book. This event is drop-in. No registration is required.
*“The StoryWalk® Project was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, VT and developed in collaboration with the Kellogg-Hubbard Library. Storywalk® is a registered service mark owned by Ms. Ferguson.”
- Monday, July 11: 11:00am-1:00pm
- Monday, August 8: 11:00am-1:00pm
SPRINKLER STORY TIME
Families: Wear your swimsuits to the library for Sprinkler Story Time! We will read fun stories then play in the sprinkler on the library lawn. Join us for a cool time! Click here to register.
Wednesday, August 10: 10:30am
Booklists for Kids
From award winning books to anti-racism reading lists, check out our Kids Booklists for great reads!
Story Time Kits
Now you can have Story Time at home!
- Autumn Story Time Kit - This kit includes 2 read-alouds, ebooks, a song, a craft, and a coloring page centered around fall leaves, squirrels, and other fun autumn activities.
- Thanksgiving Story Time Kit - This kit includes readalongs, music, movies, a craft and a coloring page centered around Thanksgiving!
- Winter Story Time Kit - This kit includes ebooks, music, a craft, 2 movies, and a coloring page centered around winter, snow, and snowmen.
Virtual Story Time Kit Archives: (Fairy Tales, Mother's Day, Summer, and more!)
Explore More Illinois is a cultural pass program that allows Illinois public library cardholders to get offers from museums, park districts, historical societies, performing and visual arts centers, and other attractions. Explore More Illinois is free and can be accessed 24/7 from any computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Log in with your library card credentials and browse for passes by date or attractions. Make your reservation and print or download your pass shortly before your visit. You can have two active reservations per library card. Please cancel your reservation(s) if unable to attend, otherwise the reservation will count as being used. Remember that once you print or download your pass you cannot cancel your reservation.
Use your library card to checkout passes for free admission or a special discount at participating Chicago area cultural destinations. This includes the popular Brookfield Zoo! Request a pass by clicking here. Passes are now available to request online, and we will email you the pass within 1-2 business days. Once issued, passes are good for 7 days. Only one pass can be issued to a family at a time. For a full list of museums and how the Museum Adventure Program works, click here.
Playaway launchpad tablets
Our collection of Playaway Launchpad tablets has some new additions! We recently acquired three additional pre-loaded educational tablets filled with games that will compliment your preschool or elementary school child's education. We have 14 different tablets for you to check out including:
- Big Minds! - STEAM (Ages 5-7) #1
- Exploration Station! - STEAM (Ages 3-5) #2
- From the Inside Out! - Science (Ages 3-5) #3
- Science Explosion! - Science (Ages 8-10) #7
- Claws! Paws! And Leggy Things! - Science (Ages 5-7) #9
- Be My Hero! - Real Life Heroes (Ages 5-7) #11
- Curious By Nature! - Critical Thinking (Ages 8-10) #12
- Build It! Fix It! Fun! - Building/Engineering (Ages 3-5) #14
- Backpack of Fun! - Life Skills (Ages 5-7) #15
- Animal Talk! - Animals (Ages 3-5) #17
- I'm Doing All That! - Life Skills (Ages 5-7) #18
- *Fur-Ever Reading! (Ages 8+) #19
- *Reading Is A Picnic (Ages 3+) #20
- *A Wordy Adventure (Ages 5+) #21
*New Additions, May 2022
The tablet cases are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books. See the Youth Services Desk to check them out.
EDUCATION CONNECTION BACKPACK BUNDLES
Our new collection of Backpack Bundles are here! Thanks to the Grand Victoria Riverboat Fund, we were able to acquire several new books, DVDs, and multimedia that will compliment your child's elementary school curriculum. We have 8 different backpacks for you to check out including:
- Phonics (Gr. K-1)
- Presidents (Gr. K-2)
- Presidents (Gr. 3-5)
- Geography & Maps (all ages)
- Science Experiments (all ages)
- S.T.E.A.M. (all ages)
- Reptiles (all ages)
These bundles contain nonfiction books and DVDs, but may also incorporate puzzles, flash cards, or props. They are located between the new nonfiction and Illinois award books.
Header image courtesy of Lissette Corirossi with Snowbunny Photography, Inc.